Sunday 19 February 2017

The brutal truth - time to wake up

So I just had a huge wake up call

Im 41 years old and spent Friday in hospital with chest pains. They had been coming on for a few weeks and got bad while at work on Friday morning so I went to the A and E and they put me through to hospital by ambulance to get checked out. I thought it was a bit of a storm in a teacup as I didn't feel THAT bad but had it explained to me that I have an inverted P wave and am at risk of heart block, have high cholesterol, am obese and generally need to sort things out.

This is a fairly minor event compared to what thousands of people deal with every day with MIs and strokes but gave me a sense of emptiness as I thought about my own mortality and realised that I had been neglecting my health and making lots of excuses for it. I had been drinking way too much, eating badly at night and not exercising at all.

Its funny how many excuses one can come up with when it involves taking the time to look after your own health. Which, when looking at it on the screen, looks really silly and counter intuitive. But we tend to move away form pain. And as my health has gotten worse, the thought of the pain  associated with exercise is more than the remote perceived pain of the health issues associated with increased drinking and weight gain.

Until it catches up and you end up lying in a hospital bed, hooked up to an ECG and wondering what on earth is going on.

Luckily it was minor but means I have been given a proverbial kick in the rear to rescue my life.

I don't believe the current state is for ever and that with focussing on my health ( physical, mental and spiritual) I can move to a place of wellness which will allow me to live a long and fruitful life.

And so it begins

Starting weight 100.9kg

No comments:

Post a Comment